antiago de Compostela is an open-air Museum for those who visit the city. Its architecture and food make Santiago your perfect getaway.
Setting up as a city from the 9th century, its paramount milestone is Santiago Apóstol, whose bones remain endlessly in the cathedral. This historical fact amended the story of the city and it is the reason why thousands and thousands of pilgrims complete the Camino de Santiago full of joy and glory.
From Marly Olé, want to share with you the 10 ten list with the must-see places to visit in Santiago, let’s take a lap together!
- The stunning cathedral: not only the remains of Santiago will hold your interest but also its façade will give you goosebumps! Named as world heritage monument since 1985, its visit is mandatory, a great journey through history!
- The old town: starting from Plaza del Obradoiro, we can admire easily its superb buildings and palaces such as the Palacio de Raxoi or the Hostal de Los Reyes Católicos, now used as Parador. Its narrow and pretty streets will delight you at every step.
- Cidade de la Cultura: located at the top of Gaiás hill and smartly designed by Peter Eisenman, it is the perfect match between architecture and sustainability. This complex host different venues such as the archive or the Museo Centro Gaiás as well as an amazing cultural agenda for all targets, don’t miss out!
- Museo do pobo Galego: Do you fancy a tour of the local culture? Nothing better than this museum to learn a bit about culture and development. Music, society, handcrafts, and folklore are some of the topics treated in this place, a wonderful chance to dive into one of the most authentical identities in Spain.
- Parque de la Alameda: Do you want to guarantee the best views in town? If you are a pic lover, take for sure that you’ll get the best ones from that point thanks to the decks facing the cathedral. The park is beautiful in itself, so, do not miss out on the chance to stroll through one of the green lungs of Santiago.
- Centro Gallego de Arte Contemporáneo: just a few steps away from the old town close enough to Parque de Bonaval, we find this outstanding building. Designed by Álvaro Siza, who won the Mies Van der Rohe prize due to this masterpiece, the museum deserves a visit if you are keen on modern art.
- Diner out: its local food is worldwide known, especially octopus, green bell peppers and the seafood. You should try all of them always with a glass of Albariño, its local wine. No one should leave Santiago de Compostela without enjoying its delicious gastronomy! Needless to say, it is the perfect moment for mixing with natives and visitors. We can organize for you the best tapas crawl tour!
- Mercado de Abastos: loud and clear: markets are the perfect place to see what happens in the city! It runs a close second in terms of visitors number, just behind the cathedral that beats all. Get lost across its little shops, grab a drink in the bar and chill out for a while!
- Finisterre: if you have some days left to spend in the area, you should add Finisterre to the bucket list, you won’t be disappointed! The landscapes will take your breath away. From Marly Olé we arranged an accurate tour for providing you the most unforgettable experience, would you join us?
- Museo de las Peregrinaciones: one of the reasons that make Santiago a lively city are the pilgrims, who spread joy and happiness in each corner. This space aims to preserve these memories over the years. If you want to dig deep into the Camino history, this is the right place!
We give you 10 reasons to visit Santiago, get yours too! Marly Olé is ready to organize a flawless experience here and all over Spain!
Some exclusive activities you can do with Marly Olé in Galicia